You as an individual must have been hearing about core exercises for beginners and all but you have no idea what it
is. Well, I believe that by the time you are done with this wonderful article about core exercises for beginners, your
heart will be full of appreciation towards me.
Firstly, let us take a look at what your core means. The core is the center of all physical attributes. If you have low
core strength, little work would seem like very hard work to you. Your core strength is very important especially if
you are a person that is involved in a work that requires the most use of your body. Note that core strength is not
important for athletes alone but for everybody. There are different shades of benefits associated with working out
your core and I’m pretty sure there are no side effects.
Let’s look into simple core workouts for you:
- Spider plank crunch
- Bird dog crunch
- Low plank
- Standing bicycle crunch
- Alternating seated leg lifts
- Modified bicycle crunch
- Supine toe taps
- Plank with knee drive
- Side plank with rotation
- Mountain climbers
Don’t get scared of the names of these core workouts. Instead, get excited because of the amazing benefits you
would get from these core workouts.
1. Spider Plank Crunch
This exercise is a 360-degree core workout. It targets all your abdominal muscles including
your lower back and glutes.
- Start in a pushup position with your hand directly below your shoulders, your toes on the ground. Just make sure your body is in a straight line.
- Lift your left leg and bring your knee towards your left arm. Go back to your startup position.
- Do 5 reps and repeat this movement on your right leg.
Benefits of Spider Plank Crunch
- It prevents back injury and eliminates back pain.
- Also, it improves athletic performances.
- It improves your physical appearance.
2. Bird Dog Crunch
This is a wonderful core workout that helps your stability and balance. It workouts your abs giving you a fine tone in
- Get on all your fours by kneeling on the floor. Raise your right arm forward, while drawing in your abs.
- Continue by raising and extending your left leg backward, while keeping it in the air.
- Next, bring your elbow and knee towards each other at the center of your body. Make sure they touch slightly.
- Keep your abs tight during this exercise. Do 10 reps of these core exercises for beginners.
- After the required repetitions switch arm and leg then, do the same process over for them.
Benefits of Bird Dog Crunch
- This core exercise improves your stability and balance.
- It improves your physical appearance.
- It helps you perform daily activities without pain.
3. Low Plank
This is a great core exercises for beginners to build your isometric strength.
- Begin in a pushup position.
- Rest your weight on your forearm. Then, bend your elbows directly under your shoulders.
- Maintain a straight line from your head to your feet.
- Squeeze your abs and hold this pose for some moment.
- As a beginner, you should do at least hold this workout for 2 minutes.
Benefits of Low Plank
- Low plank helps you build a better posture for yourself.
- Low plank helps you build nice abs.
- Also, low plank builds your stamina and resistance.
You can also read these
4. Standing Bicycle Crunch
Standing bicycle crunch targets your rotational trunk muscles and your obliques. Try this nice core workout today.
- Stand straight with your feet wide apart and your toes pointing forward.
- Put your fingertips behind your neck with your elbows pointing out to both sides.
- Inhale and tighten your core.
- Lift your left knee up across your body as much as you can to your chest.
- Twist your torso to the left and draw your right elbow toward your lifted knee so you can feel the impact of the crunch.
- Exhale and switch legs.
- Do 5 reps on each leg.
Benefits of Standing Bicycle Crunch
- This move improves your balance and coordination.
- This core exercise also lowers the risk of back injury and neck strain.
5. Alternating Seated Leg Lifts
- Start by sitting on the floor with your legs extended straight out in front of you.
- Keep your core engaged and lean back slightly.
- Place your hands on either side of your glutes and take a deep breath.
- Lift your right leg 6 inches off the ground and hold for 6 seconds.
- Drop softly and do also for the left leg.
- Do 5 reps for each leg.
Benefits of Alternating Seated Leg Lifts
- This core exercise works out your abs, hamstrings and pelvic muscles.
- This improves your stamina too.
6. Modified Bicycle Crunch:
This core workout targets your lower and upper abs.
- Begin this workout in a neutral position.
- Bend your knees, hands on either side of your head and your heels flat on the floor.
- Bring your left knee and elbow towards each other. Do this by twisting your torso gently.
- Hold for 10 seconds and repeat this process on your right knee and elbow.
- Do 10 reps on each leg.
Benefits of Modified Bicycle Crunch
- This move incorporates coordination and balance to your posture.
- It also strengthens your core
You may have come across this amazing core exercises for beginners but you don’t know how to go about it… Don’t
you worry, I got you covered.
- Lie on your chest with your arms and legs extended.
- Raise your head, left arm and your right leg about 15cm off the ground.
- Hold for 5 seconds and lower them back to the starting point.
- Repeat on the opposite arm and leg with head raised up.
- Do 7 reps each.
Benefits of Superman
- It’s a stamina testing exercise.
- Also good for balancing.
- It strengthens your core muscles.
You can also read
This is a great core exercises for beginners that requires mostly the use of your lower body. Start this today and see
- Begin by lying on your back with your knees raised and bent.
- Let your ankles be parallel to the ground and extend your arms to each side.
- Rotate your legs to the right, bringing your knees a bit close to the floor without touching it.
- Hold for a second and move the knees back to the starting point. Now, repeat, this time to the left.
- Do 14 reps of this core exercise for beginners.
Benefits of Metronome
- It’s a great exercise for flexibility.
- It’s also a good strength exercise.
9. Supine Toe Taps
- Lie on your back, raise your knees and bend at 90 degrees.
- Brace and activate your core.
- Lower your left leg to tap towards the floor.
- Return to the starting point and switch to the right leg.
- Note that the other leg must be bent at 90 degrees while you tap the other.
- Keep alternating legs and keep your core stable.
- Do 10 reps of this exercise.
Benefits of Supine Toe Taps
- It improves your stamina and muscle stability.
- It strengthens your core.
10. Plank with Knee Drive
- Get on all your fours with shoulder-width apart and knee hip-distance apart.
- Extend your legs and place your weight on the balls of your feet.
- Breathe deeply and keep your core braced.
- Draw your left knee in towards your chest and return the foot back to the starting point.
- Alternate between your right and left leg.
- Do 15 reps of this workout.
Benefits of the Plank with Knee Drive
- It stabilizes and mobilizes your core.
- It strengthens your core
11. Side Plank With Rotation
- Lie on your left side and place your left forearm on the floor.
- Bend your left knee to 90 degrees and lift your hips off the floor.
- Reach the right arm above the shoulder, with the palm facing forward.
- Keep the left shoulder blade down.
- Rotate your ribcage towards the floor and draw the left arm under the ribs. Rotate back to center and extend the right arm.
- Switch sides and do 10 reps.
Benefits of Side Plank With Rotation
- It strengthens your abs.
- It keeps you stabilized.
12. Mountain Climbers
- Assume a table position by extending your left leg back and then your right leg. Keep your spine straight and your elbow below your shoulder with your gaze on the floor.
- Flex your left knee and bring it close to your chest.
- Hop with your right leg as you place your left foot on the ground.
- Next, flex your right knee and bring it close to your chest.
- Do the same process for the right leg.
- Do 3 sets with 12 reps each.
Benefits of Mountain Climbers
- It increases your stamina.
- It strengthens your core.