Cough and sore throat are terrible enemies to our happiness. This 12 home remedies for cough and sore throat will
help to cure/reduce the uncomfortable and restless time you have suffering from a cough or sore throat. This article
brings about a solution to cough and sore throat issues. It focuses on home-made medications on cough and sore
throat treatment, also known as DIY (Do It Yourself). This simply means that you can turn to a doctor and treat cough
and sore throat comfortably at home.
The world has gone far scientifically. So many new discoveries have been made by researchers, including how to cure
oneself successfully at home. It’s no longer imperative for one to visit the hospital and other medical facilities to
receive health treatment. You can treat yourself perfectly at home with herbs and roots that are common in your
area and very affordable too. You can even grow these herbs and roots too in your garden.
What can cause cough and sore throat
Cough and sore throat are usually caused by viruses. In most case, the infection is in the upper respiratory tract and
affects the throat. This is known as Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. Examples include:
- Common cold
If the infection occurs in the lower respiratory tract, it affects the lungs mostly. Examples include:
Chronic cough could be caused by smoking, asthma, and fumes from vehicles.
Home remedies to cough and sore throat
A homemade remedy to cough and sore throat is usually effective than most over-the-counter (OTC) products sold
in pharmacies. The following ingredients could be used in the treatment of cough and sore throat at home:
- Lemon tea
- Honey tea
- Ginger tea
- Chamomile tea
- Baking soda gargle
- Marshmallow root
- Apple cider vinegar
- chicken soup
- Licorice root
- Coconut oil
12 HOME REMEDIES FOR COUGH AND SORE THROAT
1. Honey tea
“Use honey first for a cough, new guidelines say,” reports the BBC, referring to new guidelines on the best ways to
treat acute short-term coughs. Honey tea is an effective cough suppressant that could be prepared very easily at
To use honey in the treatment of cough, mix two teaspoons with table water. Drink this mixture once or twice a day.
Do not give honey to children under 1 year.
- Honey contains dextromethorphan, which is a medication most often used as a cough suppressant in over-the-counter cold and cough machine
Ginger is a stimulant that contains some anti-inflammatory compounds, allicin which can relax membranes in the
airways, which could in effect reduce coughing.
Brew up a soothing ginger tea by adding 30-50 grams of fresh ginger slices to a cup of hot water. Allow it to steep
for a few minutes. You may choose to add honey or fresh lemon to improve the taste and further soothe a cough.
You may as well add fresh garlic to your diet.
3. Cayenne Pepper or Hot Sauce
This combo acts as a pain reliever. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a natural compound known for blocking pain
Mix cayenne with warm water and honey. Drop a few hot sauces or just a little sprinkle on the cayenne. Remember,
both can be very hot.
4. Baking Soda Gargle
Gargling water mixed with salt water can help relieve sore throat, as well as stop cough.
The National Cancer Institute recommends gargling and gently swishing a combination of 1 warm water, ¼
teaspoon baking soda, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. They recommend using the rinse every three hours as needed.
Fenugreek is a natural remedy for sore throat and cough. This panacea can relieve pain and kill bacteria that cause
irritation or inflammation. Pregnant women should, please avoid fenugreek to avoid complications.
HOW TO USE
- Soak 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in 8 oz. of cold water overnight.
- For a quicker brew time, add the fenugreek seed to boiling water and let steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain the seeds, reserving the liquids. Warm the liquid and drink as a tea. You may add honey to sweeten if desired
6. Apple Cider vinegar
People have used apple cider vinegar both for cooking and health applications for years. This homemade recipe is a
cough remedy and relieves one from sore throat complications.
How to use
- Mix 2 tablespoons of a high-quality apple cider vinegar into a tall glass of water.
- Drink up to two times per day for cough relief.
- Do not take apple cider vinegar without diluting it. It may cause digestive discomfort.
7. Licorice Root
Licorice is an extract of the root of Glycyrrhiza glabra, used as a sweetening and flavoring agent. It is also used as an
herbal remedy for cough and sore throat.
HOW TO USE
- Steep loose herbs in hot water to make tea for sore throat and cough remedy.
- Never consume excessive amounts of licorice in food or supplement form.
8. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps fight infection, reduces inflammation and relieve pain. It is very soothing because it helps
lubricate the mucous membranes in the throat.
How To Use
- Add a spoonful to hot tea or hot cocoa
- Add a spoonful to soup.
- Simply put a spoonful in your mouth and allow it to melt down your throat.
9. Cinnamon Almond Milk
Cinnamon is a traditional remedy for cold, sore throat and cough. This delicious spice is high in antioxidants and
provides antibacterial benefits.
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) baking soda
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) honey or sweetener of choice.
How to Use
- Place cinnamon and baking soda in a saucepan and mix together.
- Add almond milk and mix again until well combined
- Heat mixture until well combined
- Het mixture until it just begins to simmer, then remove from heat.
- Stir in sweetener
10. Plenty of fluids
Drinking plenty of fluids can help to reduce irritation. Drinking plenty of water or other fluids will ultimately make
your throat feel better. Consuming adequate fluid ensures that you stay well hydrated and allows your throat to
remain moist so it can heal.
11. Chicken Soup
Chicken soup is an effective cough and sore throat remedy. It’s also a comfort food that allows you to get more
fluids when you’re sick. You can prepare tasty chicken soup in the comfort of your home. You may as well order it
from a nearby restaurant.
Adding fresh ginger and garlic to your chicken soup is an additional benefit to sore throat and cough issues.
12. Chamomile Tea
This tea is naturally soothing to the body. Due to its high content of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and astringent
properties, chamomile tea is recommended as best in soothing sore throat and cough.
- 2 tablespoons fresh chamomile flowers
- two cups boiling water
- 2 thin slices of organically grown apples
- Raw honey
HOW TO USE
- Rinse the flowers with cool water.
- Warm your teapot with boiling water. Add the apple slices to the pot and mash them with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chamomile flowers and our in the 2 cups of boiling water
- Cover and steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain the tea into two cups. Add raw honey to taste.
The guidelines provided here are made from a well-researched work that encourages homemade remedies to cough
and sore throat issues. If the cough or sore throat persists after you must have applied our suggestions, please kindly
visit a doctor nearest to you.