Something I learned earlier this year is that, for stronger abs, you need to engage in some abs
workout routine regularly. Just like other muscles in the body, it is important to work on their
abdominal muscles in order to have strong abs and the highly desired “six packs”. Some of these
exercises can be quite tasking, so you need to rest well intermittently and after every workout
routine. You also need to eat well and eat right to ensure all your workout efforts are not in vain.
Another thing I noticed is that when most men hear abs workout routines, only crunches, sit ups
and push ups to come to their minds. However, there are several other abs workout routines that
can help to strengthen your core. See the full list below. Engage in these exercises according to
instructions to get those six packs you have always dreamed of in no time. Note that these abs
workout routines won’t only work on your abs but also on your glutes, hips, shoulders, and arms.
They will also ensure your whole body is well balanced.
11 ABS WORKOUT ROUTINES FOR MEN
These 11 exercises include:
1. Push Up
If you are looking for effective abs workout routines for men, don’t look beyond push ups. Push ups
are one of the simplest and most common abs workouts to lose belly fat and strengthen your core.
- Go down on your hands and legs, balancing your body on your palms and toes and your hands a little bit shoulder-width apart. Ensure your body is in a straight line from your legs to your head.
- Brace your abs and squeeze your glutes throughout the course of the entire exercise.
- In one slow motion, lower your body to the ground and pause for 2 seconds, then lift up your body to return to your starting position. This is one rep.
- Do 20-30 reps every day.
This is one of the first of several abs workout routine that comes to mind when you want to
strengthen your core and abs. Planks not only strengthen your core and abs, but they also work on
your arms and legs.
- Go down on an exercise mat into a push up position with your hands directly under your shoulders and your legs straight back.
- Strengthen your abs then stabilize your body by squeezing your glutes.
- Bend your elbows in such a way that they are at a 90 degrees angle by resting your weight on your forearms. Make sure your elbows are directly under your shoulders and your body forms a straight line from your head to your legs.
- Stay in that position for as long as you can endure.
- Repeat this 5 times every day for a week.
3. Side Plank
This is one of the several variations of the normal plank exercise. It is also as effective as plank for
strengthening your abs.
- Lie on an exercise mat on one side, making sure your legs are straight. Lift up your upper body by using your bottom forearms.
- Strengthen your core and abs then lift your hips till your body is in a straight line.
- Continue breathing deeply as you stay in this position until you get tired.
- Roll over to the other side then repeat all the above steps.
- Repeat on both sides to complete one rep. Do 5 reps every day for faster results.
4. Reverse Crunch
This is just like crunches, except you do it the reverse way. There is hardly any abs workout routine
article that you won’t find reverse crunches.
- Lie on the ground with your palms placed firmly on the ground on both of your sides while facing up.
- Bend your knees and hips to a 90 degrees position.
- Contract your abs and lift your hips off the ground.
- Crunch inwards. Pause for 2 seconds, then lower your legs back down slowly till the back of your legs nearly touch the ground.
- Do about 15 reps for 5 sets.
5. Swiss Ball Crunch
This is one of the most effective core workouts for men that involve the use of a Swiss ball.
- Lie on the floor with your lower back, shoulders, and hips in contact with the Swiss ball and your legs placed firmly on the floor.
- Put your fingertips just behind your ears. Pull your elbows backward such that they are in a straight line with your body.
- Lift your head and your shoulders, and crunch your ribs towards your pelvic region, without making your hips drop or stretching your neck forward.
- Pause for 2 seconds and slowly return to your initial position.
- Do 15 reps for 3 sets.
6. Mountain Climber
This is one of the abs workout routine that work on your abs, arms, legs, and back. It is very
effective if you want to lose belly poosh.
- Start in a push up position such that your body forms a straight line from your head to your ankles.
- Tighten your abs.
- Lift your left foot and bring towards your chest and return quickly to your initial position.
- Switch legs and repeat the entire process using your right foot.
- Keep alternating between both legs for 30 seconds.
- Do these for about 10 minutes to strengthen your core and abs.
7. Leg Drop
If you want to get rid of stubborn fat and have strong abs, then leg drop is just the exercise for you. Leg drops
effectively tone and strengthens your abs.
- Lie flat on an exercise mat, relaxing your neck and head, placing your hands on the exercise mat close to your shoulders.
- Brace your core muscles and lift your knees towards your ribs using your lower abs.
- Keep your lower back placed firmly on the exercise mat. Then lower your feet back to your starting position slowly.
- Repeat as your leg touch the floor lightly.
- Do about 15 reps for 3 sets.
8. Swiss-Ball Roll-Out
This is another of the highly effective abs workout routine you can engage in.
- Go down on your knees just in front of a Swiss ball. Then put your fists and forearms on the Swiss ball.
- Prop your core; then roll the ball forward slowly as you straighten your arms and extend your body up to your endurance limit.
- Then pull the Swiss ball back to your knees using your abs. That makes it one rep.
- Do about 15 reps for 3 sets.
9. Hip Roll
This is one of the abs workout routine that tones the belly and strengthens your abs.
- Lie flat on the floor with your back down flat, legs up and your knees at 90 degrees bent directly over your hips.
- Stretch your arms out and face both of your palms upwards.
- Brace core just like someone is about to punch you hard in your stomach. Lower your legs to one side until you begin to feel uncomfortable while you keep your shoulders close to the floor.
- Strengthen your core and in one motion, pull your legs and return back to your starting position.
- Repeat the above steps on your other side.
- Keep alternating sides, and do 15 reps on each side for 30 reps.
10. Swiss Ball Reverse Oblique Crunch
This is one of the most important Swiss ball arm workout routine for strengthening your core and abs.
- Begin by lying on the floor, bending your knees at a 90 degree angle, holding a Swiss ball between your glutes and heels. Make sure you place both of your arms on both sides of your body.
- Brace your core and press your arms firmly on the floor; then lift your body up using your hips to raise both your glutes and the Swiss ball off the floor.
- Stay in this position for about 30 seconds while you squeeze your glutes and abs. Then return to your starting position.
- Do 15 reps for 3 sets.
11. Swiss Ball Knee Tuck
If you are a man and you want to strengthen your abs, you can still get six packs. Just do this variation of the several
Swiss ball abs workout routine.
- Go down on all fours placing your feet on the Swiss ball and your hands on the ground.
- Brace core and stay balanced.
- Roll the Swiss ball into your body using your feet; then stop as soon as your knees reach your chest region.
- Roll the Swiss ball back to the initial position slowly.
- Repeat 15 reps for 3 sets.
These are 11 of the most effective abs workout routine men can use to strengthen their abs. Before you start any of
these routine, you can consult a physician for professional advice. Either way, make sure you avoid all forms of
junks and unhealthy foods. You need to eat right while you engage in these abs workout routine for better and
Also, even though this article is about abs workout routine for men, women can also engage in some of these
exercises too if they want to strengthen their abs.
Lastly, you also need to be patient while engaging in these exercises as abs cannot appear overnight.
Good luck with your abs journey!
You can also read